Monday, March 17, 2008

Where do you draw the line?

Today I was faced with something I didn't want to be faced with..but I had to be so I was.


I was put in a situation where the girls I coach got in some trouble *or their parents did* and got QND kicked out of all hotels in the Champaign area. Now, there were high school girls with college drunk guys in hotel rooms alone, parents taking shots...and then....there were pictures put up on myspace for the world to see.
Mind you we are a Catholic High School. So, did I have a right, should I have gone off on them the way I did? I told them that Catholic meant they were followers of Christ and they were misrepresenting his name. I felt like I had to. But was I out of line? I am so confused. I feel like being a Christian in this world is getting harder every day. I feel God giving me strength but I dont want people to think that I feel I am better than them. That is never my intention. When do you stand back and when do you step in? Was I right to voice my opinion as I was embarassed to be an alum of QND? Or should I have let it go and left it to the parents to discipline their children.


It's time for a vacation. I can't see one in the near future. But I really need to get away. Any advice, imput, thoughts would be great.
thanks.

2 comments:

Her Harlequin said...

I would think that if you are there on a school sponsored trip, then you must immediately contact the principle/higher authority. Give him/her all the details, voice your concerns, and ask for a recap of what the schools guidelines are so that you can make sure you follow them correctly. As a school representative, you need to respond as the school deems appropriate - no more and certainly no less. Ultimately, the school must decide what to do.

Of course, if you are there independently - it's between you and the families. In that case, if it were me, I would scold away and cut my association with them as fast as possible.

megd1 said...

Wow, Ashleigh, that's such a tough situation and I hate that you were put in it. I do think you were justified in voicing your opinion, especially since it is Biblical. Think about how Jesus reacted when he saw the people selling goods in the temple and not honoring God. I don't think it's much different. I'm really proud of you for taking a stand, I'd love to see more people brave enough to do that. I'm sure you've taken the matter back to administration and they can take it from there, but for what it's worth I do think you did the right thing, you have to be a good example for those girls especially if their parents aren't.